Last week sometime, I entered a Target store (which is somewhat like a Wal-Mart, but with business hours and lower ceilings) for the purchase of a number of tee-shirts. I discovered in the same section, a shelf of novelty shirts... you know the type: "I'm with stupid ->" or "Greasy Dan's Diner and Filling Station: Eat Here, Get Gas", or for the ladies, "Hey, I'm up here."
Well, in between a Pac-Man board and a 1UP mushroom, I found a shirt with the heading, "10 Reasons Why Kirk is Better Than Picard".
I'm probably taking my life into my own hands by saying this on a blog visited occasionally by Trek anoraks, but...
Pfft! No, he's not.
Allow me to turn the tables and remix a list which has probably already been printed on a tee-shirt and sold to 32,647 people.
Ten Reasons Why Picard is Better Than Kirk
10. Four words: "tea, Earl Grey, hot".
9. When dealing with alien girls, there's a thing called self-control.
8. Has the best autopilot system in Starfleet: Data.
7. Have you seen "Chain of Command, Part I"? Three words: "bald James Bond".
6. Has enough composure and patience to not escort Wesley to the airlock.
5. Three more words: "Warp nine. Engage."
4. Picard. Doesn't. Make. Every. Word. Its. Own. Sentence.
3. "Resistance is futile"? Eh, not so much.
2. "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra".
1. The first Starfleet officer to make a red shirt look fashionable.